Drug Crime Penalties
Florida Drug Crime Penalties
Miami Drug Attorney
If you or someone you know is currently facing drug charges in Miami or the surrounding areas in Florida, you need a competent attorney on your side to help you avoid the serious penalties that may come with a conviction for whatever offense you may have been accused of committing.
Miami Defense Attorney Michael Mirer offers a free initial consultation to discuss your case, and we have also included some basic information about Florida drug crime penalties for your review. Contact us to get started.
Potential Drug Penalties
Depending on the case, a defendant facing drug charges may face imprisonment in county jail for up to 12 months (if charged with a misdemeanor) or anywhere from 1 year to life in prison (if charged with a felony.) The specific penalties for a Florida drug crime conviction will vary drastically depending on a number of different factors:
- The nature of the offense - for example, drug possession is considered a lesser offense than drug distribution or drug trafficking, wherein the offender is affecting others and contributing to the distribution of drugs throughout the county or state.
- The defendant's prior criminal record - a defendant may be ineligible for alternative sentencing or may face increased penalties upon a second, third or subsequent drug crime conviction.
- Whether any weapons were involved - if the defendant was in possession of a firearm or other deadly weapon, he or she can expect to face enhanced penalties as well as the possibility of mandatory minimum penalties enforced by the court.
- The type of drug, and the amount - controlled substances are classified into schedules according to their potential for abuse, danger, and other factors. Schedule I substances are considered the most dangerous and will result in the implementation of the harshest penalties upon a conviction. Following are some examples of drugs in different schedules:
- Schedule I drugs: heroin, LSD, marijuana
- Schedule II drugs: PCP, cocaine, methamphetamines
- Schedule III drugs: codeine, anabolic steroids
- Schedule IV drugs: Xanax, Valium
Get help from the Law Office of Michael Mirer, P.A.!
Would you like to learn more about drug crime penalties and how an experienced lawyer can help you?
Contact a Miami drug lawyer the Law Office of Michael Mirer, P.A. today for a free initial consultation.
No Jail Time
CHARGES CLEARED Violent Crime
CHARGES DROPPED Violent Crime
“Mr. Mirer the best attorney all around, very respectful, a humble person, open minded and well respected.” - Former Client
“They assured me they could get my case resolved and squashed... in less than a week it was done.” - Former Client
“My case is almost done and I am so happy with such a great attorney.” - Former Client